My Family’s Homemade Tomato Sauce
This has been my go-to pasta homemade tomato sauce recipe for as long as I can remember.
My Italian mom passed it on to me and it is foolproof, affordable, and incredibly delicious. Never buy a can of sauce again! Make a big batch and freeze portions if you need an even faster meal.
Serve on top of any pasta or use it as a base sauce for pizza, stuffed portobello mushrooms, puttanesca, bolognese sauce, or any other dish.
My Family's Homemade Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed or whole Italian plum tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons dried oregano depending on preference
- 2 dried bay leaves
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat the oil in a saucepan to medium heat. Add garlic, stirring constantly, and cook for 1 minute or until fragrant. Be careful not to let it brown. Add the tomato paste, oregano, and bay leaves,if using, and cook for an additional minute or so until fragrant.
- Add the canned tomatoes, a generous pinch of kosher salt, and generous grind of black pepper. Stir and bring to a low simmer. Simmer for 30 to 45 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper and use or store for later.