My Family’s Homemade Tomato Sauce
This has been my go-to pasta homemade tomato sauce recipe for as long as I can remember. My mom (half-Italian–you can trust me) passed it on to me and it’s fool-proof, cheap, and incredibly delicious. Never buy a can of sauce again! Make a big batch and freeze portions if you need an even faster meal. Serve on top of any pasta or use it as a base sauce for pizza, puttanesca, bolognese sauce….pretty much anything!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed (not strained!) or whole plum canned tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste (optional, but adds flavor and thickens)
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 dried bay leaves
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil in saucepan to medium heat, add garlic, and stirring for around 1-2 minute (be careful not to brown)
- Add bay leaves, half the oregano, and stir until fragrant.
- Add canned tomatoes, additional oregano, salt and pepper, stir, and reduce to simmer. Simmer for 30-45 minutes on low-medium heat.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 174 Total Fat: 8g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 6g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 204mg Carbohydrates: 28g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 22g Protein: 2g
See? Told you it was easy!