Fried Green Tomatoes
(Fresh graffiti eggplant from the Farmer’s Market! Quick Eggplant Tip: For tender, delicious eggplant, dice up and sprinkle with salt and allow to sit for roughly 30 minutes before sautéing).
- 2 green tomatoes
- unbleached all purpose flour
- zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten with fork
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- panko breadcrumbs
- safflower/canola oil, for frying
- Slice tomato into 1/2” thick slices. Pat on paper towel to dry slightly.
- Set up breading station (use wax paper for a quick clean-up), with flour + zest mixture, egg wash (seasoned with salt and pepper), and panko breadcrumbs.
- Meanwhile, add oil to sauté pan (a thin layer covering bottom—roughly 1/4 – 1/2”) and heat over medium high heat.
- Right before pan-frying, lightly coat each slice of green tomato in flour, then dip in egg wash, and coat with panko breadcrumbs.
- Place gently in sauté pan, searing each side for roughly 1-2 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Remove and place on rack—sprinkle with sea salt and serve immediately with a wedge of lemon!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 3 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 39Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 16mgSodium: 42mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
A Beautiful Plate provides nutritional information, but these figures should be considered estimates, as they are not calculated by a registered dietician.
All of this (plus more…I eat a lot) was quickly devoured!
P.S. Does that smudge of pesto on the plate above bother anyone else but me? —> OCD.