Homemade Champagne Mango Lime Sorbet
One great thing about living at home with parents as a recent graduate? I get to test out the goods and use my mom’s new Cuisinart Ice-Cream/Frozen Yogurt/Sorbet maker. Move over store-bought ice cream…I may never go back. Or at least, until I move out, that is.
Unfortunately, my first attempt at making something in the machine failed as a result of pure impatience (you need to let the freezer bowl freeze completely, which takes around 6-22 hours!). But the second time around was golden! I bring you home-made mango lime sorbet. This recipe is so easy, I am almost ashamed to take credit for it.
I used fresh champagne mangos (my favorite!), but you could always use a different variety or even frozen! Tip: Trader Joes sells cheap bags of frozen champagne mango halves and regular mango chunks!
This sorbet would be a great choice for a light dessert in the summer–which is especially needed in a place like DC, where we’ve been experiencing a serious heat wave with temperatures over 100 degrees.
It’s simple, refreshing, and low calorie. You could also add fresh fruit, such as raspberries, chopped strawberries, or even blueberries toward the end of the freezing process for a pretty fruit add-in. Enjoy!
- 1 cup simple syrup (3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 cup water)
- 4 champagne mangos, peeled and pitted
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lime zest
- To make simple syrup, combine sugar and water to saucepan and turn to medium heat until just boiled.
- Turn down to low heat, simmering for 3-5 minutes until sugar is completely dissolved. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, pureé mango (in blender, food processor, or using an immersion blender).
- Mix all ingredients together and add to ice-cream maker. Follow machine instructions.
- Transfer sorbet to airtight freezer-safe container and allow to firm in freezer for an additional 4-6 hours.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212 Total Fat: 0g Saturated Fat: 0g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 6mg Carbohydrates: 36g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 34g Protein: 1g