The Awesome Breakfast Burrito
I used to be one of those people that thought the combinations egg, avocado, and salsa just did not mesh with traditional breakfast fare. I know you’re probably virtually screaming at me.
Why I used to feel that way, I have no clue. In reality, silky, buttery avocado with egg, cheese, and fresh pico de gallo is just delicious. In a burrito? Even better.
Earlier this month, I had a similarly inspired breakfast in Los Angeles, where Mexican breakfast dishes are available everywhere. I couldn’t help but think of my own improvements. So the other day for lunch that is exactly what I created: an awesome breakfast burrito. Enjoy!
Awesome Breakfast Burrito
- whole wheat tortilla wrap
- ¼ avocado diced
- 1½ ounces grated sharp white cheddar cheese
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh pico de gallo
- mixed baby greens
- Heat a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the whole wheat wrap and top with the grated cheddar cheese. Heat in skillet until lightly melted, then transfer the wrap to a large plate. Add the avocado and lightly mash on top of the melted cheese.
- Meanwhile, lightly scramble the eggs - for this version, I crack the eggs directly into the skillet for a 'messy' scramble. Transfer the eggs on top of the avocado and top with the fresh pico de gallo and a small handful of mixed greens.
- Roll and slice in half. Serve immediately.