Rise and Shine Smoothie
Healthy, vegan, dairy-free breakfast smoothie made with frozen bananas, coconut water, pitted dates, almond milk, hemp seeds, and almond butter. You’ll want to drink this every day of the week!
This past week and a half has been a little bit crazy. You see…I recently started a new job (at my old job–very, very long story) and I’ve been getting used to a totally new schedule, new traffic patterns, new responsibilities, new meal schedule, new everything.
I feel sort of discombobulated.
Anyway, one of the things I’m getting used to is waking up earlier. As someone who tends to go to bed a little too late and enjoys a slightly leisurely breakfast, it has been a bit difficult to get used to.
I’ve been guilty of repeatedly pressing the snooze button (Connor’s says I snooze like it’s my job–uhhh, I wish!)–which unfortunately, has resulted in me skipping breakfast way too often.
I’m sure some of you guys can relate to this. It’s not so great.
Anyway, the other day I was trying to come up with ideas for easy breakfasts or breakfasts on-the-go, and I couldn’t help but remember an incredibly delicious smoothie that I had on a recent trip to New York City back in December.
It was at a beautiful takeaway food shop and cafe called Nourish Kitchen + Table, located in the West Village. Not only is this place absolutely stunning in the inside (my dream cafe come to life!), but it has an amazing menu packed with nutritious, flavorful, and seasonally influenced food.
We tried so many different things on the menu and enjoyed every single thing–but I fell particularly hard for their rise and shine smoothie.
Obviously, this recipe is based purely on memory! But I’m so happy to say that it tastes incredibly similar to the original.
This version is made with coconut water, unsweetened almond milk, almond butter, frozen banana, hemp seeds, dates, and a pinch of cinnamon. It almost tastes like banana bread in liquid form, but has the added bonus of being incredibly good for you.
The dates and banana provide just the right amount of natural sweetness–and the almond butter and hemp seeds make it incredibly filling. Plus, it is quick to prepare, making this breakfast option super snooze-button friendly.
Rise and Shine Smoothie
- 1 cup (240 mL) unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup (120 mL) coconut water I recommend Harmless Harvest brand
- 1 frozen banana broken into pieces
- 2-3 small medjool dates pits removed and broken into pieces
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds plus more for garnishing
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- ice cubes if needed
- Place the almond milk, coconut water, frozen banana, dates, almond butter, hemp seeds, and a pinch of ground cinnamon in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. If the mixture is not thick enough to your liking, add an ice cube or two and blend again.
- Pour into a large glass and garnish with hemp seeds. Best served immediately. Leftovers can be kept in a covered container in the fridge for up for 1 to 2 days. Shake or stir before drinking.