Slow Cooker Curried Lentil Soup
Slow Cooker Curried Lentil Soup. An EASY flavorful lentil soup recipe seasoned with turmeric, ginger, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, and coconut milk.
This recipe post is sponsored by Imagine®.
Since January has been filled with more days in the negative digits than I can count on two hands, I decided it was high time that I share another delicious, hearty soup recipe with you. And not just any soup, an incredibly flavorful and nutritious slow cooker curried lentil soup that will make you want to curl up on the sofa under a good blanket.
I love this one so much that I’ve been making a habit of throwing a batch together at the beginning of each week. It heats up beautifully and can hold me over for hours (aka. it ensures that I don’t get hangry and snack on everything in sight!).
You’ve been consistently asking for more slow cooker recipes without fail every year and always offer an overwhelmingly positive response each time that I do. Thank you! I hope this curried lentil soup will satisfy all of your winter soup cravings and allow you, even on the busiest of days, to put a delicious home-cooked meal on the table with more ease.
Tips for Success
The foundation of any great soup recipe starts with a high-quality broth. I generally prefer to make soups with chicken broth, because the flavor offers a wonderful, rich canvas on which to build and add flavors.
For this recipe, we’ll be using one full quart (4 cups) of Imagine® Organic Free Range Chicken Broth. Sourcing responsibly raised and organic meat-based products has always been a high priority for me and these broths are top of the line. Even more noteworthy, Imagine® chicken broths have received a Global Animal Partnership Step 3 animal welfare rating.
I’ve been familiar with their line of products for some time, but became a regular convert when I completed Whole30 last year. You’d be shocked to find that even seemingly good-quality store-bought broths usually contain an excess of ingredients (aka. cane sugar or ‘flavorings’).
Imagine® chicken broth is made with real, wholesome non-GMO ingredients including organic, free-range chicken, organic farm-grown vegetables, and a delicate balance of savory herbs and seasonings. Their products are made with ingredients that I feel proud to use in my kitchen.
Why You’ll Love This Slow Cooker Curried Lentil Soup Recipe:
The heartiness and heft of this curried lentil soup comes from typical soup aromatics, including onion, carrot, garlic, and ginger, and my favorite French green lentils. Sometimes called puy lentils, these lentils hold their shape once cooked, making them an ideal lentil for slow cooker or crockpot preparations.
The incredible flavor comes from a combination of warming spices, including curry powder, turmeric, cardamom, cinnamon, and cloves (yep, these aren’t just baking spices!). It will make your kitchen smell fantastic.
It is worth noting that this soup will be very loose once you first combine the ingredients in the slow cooker, but as it cooks over low heat, it will transform into a hearty and thick stew.
Just before serving, you’ll stir in generous pour of creamy full-fat coconut milk and a light squeeze of fresh lemon juice. The coconut milk adds fantastic creaminess and the lemon juice, while seemingly insignificant, rounds out all of the flavors.
This might be my favorite slow cooker soup creation to date! I hope you love it as much as I do.
Slow Cooker Curried Lentil Soup
- 3 tablespoons (45 g) unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced
- ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus more to taste
- 1 large carrot diced
- 3 large garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon finely minced ginger root
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon curry powder medium-spice level
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cups French (Puy) green lentils
- 1 quart (32 oz) Imagine® Organic Free Range Chicken Broth
- ½ cup (120 mL) full-fat coconut milk
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- coconut milk or whole fat yogurt for drizzling
- fresh cilantro leaves
- If you do not have a stove-top safe slow cooker insert, simply start this recipe using a large non-stick skillet and transfer the ingredients to the slow cooker once you have completed step two. Using a 4-quart capacity (or larger) slow cooker, heat the butter in a stove-safe slow cooker insert over medium-low heat until melted and just beginning to sizzle. Add the onions along with the salt and pepper. Sauté for 4 minutes, stirring frequently, or until the onions begin to soften. Do not allow them to gain color. Add the carrots and continue cooking for 2 to 3 minutes more or until just beginning to soften.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and ground spices and sauté, stirring constantly, for an additional minute or until very fragrant.
- Add the lentils and chicken broth and stir to combine. Cook over low heat, according to your slow cooker manufacturer's directions, for 7 to 8 hours, stirring occasionally if possible, or until the soup has thickened considerably and the lentils are cooked through but still retain their shape. Just before serving, stir in the coconut milk and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve immediately. Garnish with a drizzle of coconut milk or spoonful of yogurt and cilantro leaves as desired.
- Leftover soup can be stored in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. The soup is very thick once chilled completely. To reheat, add a splash or two of chicken broth or water to the soup, stir to combine, and place over low heat, stirring occasionally, until hot.
Tips for Success:
- The heartiness and heft of this curried lentil soup comes from typical soup aromatics, including onion, carrot, garlic, and ginger, and my favorite French green lentils. Sometimes called puy lentils, these lentils hold their shape once cooked, making them an ideal lentil for slow cooker or crockpot preparations.