Easy Pumpkin Bread (with a twist!)
If you’re looking for an easy moist pumpkin bread to enjoy all season, this recipe is for you. Classic pumpkin bread with fall spices and an orange twist!
Is it too late in the season to share my favorite Easy Pumpkin Bread recipe?
A few weeks ago, my mom surprised me with this incredibly cute and festive loaf pan.
It was practically begging to be used, so I made the executive decision to whip up a batch of my family’s pumpkin bread recipe with an orange twist.
The resulting pumpkin bread was just as tasty – if not more delicious – than I remembered. I had to share the recipe with you!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe:
This pumpkin bread comes together with basic pantry staples and two mixing bowls.
The best part? It is incredibly moist and holds up extremely well. This bread tastes just as good two, three, and even four days after baking, which makes it ideal for gifting or sharing with others.
Before getting into the details, let me preface this recipe by stating that you do not need a specialty loaf pan to prepare this pumpkin bread.
This recipe was tested and designed to be baked in a standard 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. This pumpkin bread domes beautifully, so while it will work in a specialty pan, it’s not ideal.
What Makes This Pumpkin Bread Different:
We’re using everyday ingredients to make this pumpkin bread. Inspired by the flavors in Ina’s pumpkin flan, I’ve added orange zest and orange juice for a bit of a twist!
The citrus complements and enhances the pumpkin and spices, but isn’t overly noticeable.
If you don’t have oranges on hand, omit the zest and substitute the orange juice with water. It’s that simple!
Pumpkin Bread Ingredients:
- Unbleached All Purpose Flour – we’re using staple-friendly unbleached all-purpose flour in this pumpkin bread. If you wish to make it a bit more nutritious, feel free to substitute a portion with whole wheat pastry flour.
- Cinnamon, Ginger, and Allspice – my favorite blend of warming spices
- Salt – for balance.
- Baking Soda and Baking Powder – provides the leavening and a beautiful domed top.
- Granulated Sugar – for sweetness and a tender crumb.
- Oil – I prefer avocado oil for baking, as it has an indistinguishable flavor and better nutritional profile than other vegetable oils.
- Eggs – provide structure and moisture.
- Orange Zest and Orange Juice – pairs excellently with pumpkin and gives this bread a lovely flavor twist
- Pumpkin Puree – this bread uses one cup of canned pumpkin puree. Store and use any leftover puree for a batch of my favorite pumpkin soufflé pancakes!
This pumpkin bread is fragrant from spices and has a tender moist crumb.
Since the batter comes together quickly, you’ll be able to whip up a loaf in just over an hour!
How to Store Pumpkin Bread:
To store, lightly wrap a paper towel around the cooled pumpkin bread. This simple trick will absorb and prevent the bread from gaining a gummy or moist exterior, which can be common with higher-moisture baked goods.
Then transfer to a large Ziploc bag and store at room temperature. This pumpkin bread will remain moist for up to 3 to 4 days.
Other Pumpkin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Pumpkin Sheet Cake with Spiced Cream Cheese Frosting
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chunk Espresso Muffins
- Pumpkin Carrot Muffins
Easy Pumpkin Bread
- 1¾ cups (210 g) unbleached all-purpose flour fluffed, spooned, and leveled
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ½ teaspoon Diamond Crystal kosher salt
- 1 cup (200 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- ½ cup (120 mL) avocado, vegetable, or other neutral oil
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup (60 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice *see substitute option in notes
- 1 cup (240 g) canned pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) with a rack in the center position. Grease a 9 x 5-inch (23 x 13 cm) loaf pan with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and salt. Set aside.
- In a seperate large mixing bowl, combine the granulated sugar and orange zest. Rub the zest into the sugar with your fingertips until it is moist and very fragrant. Add the oil, eggs, vanilla extract, orange juice (or water substitute), and pumpkin puree. Whisk together until smooth.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and whisk together until the flour mixture is just absorbed. Scrape down the bowl to ensure all of hte ingredients are evenly incorporated. Transfer the batter to the greased loaf pan and smooth with an offset spatula.
- Bake for 50 to 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Set on a rack and allow to cool for 5 to 10 minutes before removing the bread from the pan. Set on a rack and let cool completely.
- To store, lightly wrap a paper towel around the cooled pumpkin bread (this trick helps prevent bread from gaining a sticky or gummy exterior, which can happen with moist baked goods). Transfer to a large Ziploc bag and store at room temperature. This pumpkin bread will remain very moist for 3 to 4 days.
Tips for Success:
- I love the subtle orange flavor in this loaf, as it complements the pumpkin and spices very nicely. If you do not wish to use it, you can omit the orange zest and substitute the orange juice with room temperature water.